Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend 2009

Well, I've started on the body work.

Actually I first finished removing the sound deadener. I ended up using a '6 in 1' painting tool which is thicker than a regular paint putty knife. Only a few pieces didn't want to come up easily, but after an hour or so all the black sound deadener was gone.

I bought an angle grinder, sanding/stripping disks, etching primer and some sand paper. Figured I'd start in the hatch area and the spare tire well.

An hour into it, I was really confused and frustrated. So I took a break ;-)

Turns out trying to grind on the irregular and curved surfaces is a pain in the butt. So I got out some sandpaper and eventually used naval jelly on some areas I couldn't get into. Naval Jelly is some interesting stuff. Put it on and a few minutes to an hour later the rust was gone. Clean it off, sand the area and you can primer it.

Of course the instructions said to put it on for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, nothing changed. So I left it on for 20 minutes. Some rust removal. 30 minutes and it cleaned up pretty well. Except I only did an area about 6" by 6". So this isn't going to scale well if I can't do more than a few square inches every 30 minutes.

After about 4 hours of working, I had cleaned the spare tire well, sanded it down and shot it with the primer. Not a lot of progress for a lot of hours, but I know what I'm doing now ;-)

Most of the rest of the weekend was taken by family events, projects and my 17th Wedding Anniversary (She wanted to see Star Trek, so who am I to argue?).

I did spent a few hours Monday morning organizing the shed where I'm keeping all the parts. All the big stuff is now in the shed and I can get to the lawnmower again. Plus no more parts on 'her' side of the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment