Sunday, June 14, 2009

Passenger side floor pan cleanup

This morning I started on the passenger side floor pan. From the 'before' picture is looks really bad and I was worried how much rusted through all the way. I crawled underneath and found only one spot where the rust had gone through.

Hitting the back seat part with the wire brush, sandpaper, wire wheel and angle grinder I removed a lot of the rust and figured out how big the rusted through area really is. It is about 3" long by 1/2" thick. (top right of the picture) I haven't hit it from below yet, so it might grow (sorry, no 'during pictures, it is nowhere near done.)



After about 40 minutes on my knees I had to take a break and work on something else. I first removed the sun visors, then took the front bumper, radiator and A/C condenser off. Both the Radiator and condenser show signs of damage, so I'll probably need to replace them as well.

The frame holding the Marcal lights has a serious bend in it, but it the lights are straight in the frame. I think this can be hammered out based on what I've seen others do.




I also cleaned up the rust on the drivers frame rail and got a good look at how bad it is. I'm still committed to fixing this car ;-)





1 comment:

  1. Even the USS Constitution has been 97% rebuilt! And it still floats around the harbor once in a while. It's gonna take forever and a ton of stuff will be replaced, but it's by your hands so it will be worth it and you will love it!
    Ever wonder what happened to the old white one you used to have?

    ReplyDelete