Sunday, August 23, 2009

Hammer (paint) time!

I haven't had a lot of time to work on the car this month. Too many things for the kids and Deb.

Last weekend I had a couple of hours to work on the car and remove the passenger upper control arm. Thank god for air tools. 25 year old bolts don't want to come off!

The reason I took it off was to get access to the torque box to de-rust it and paint it. There was a little bit of surface rust which came off easily. I put the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator on the whole box and let it dry.

This weekend I had a whole 2 hour to work on the car. So I painted the torque box with 'hammer' paint from Rustoleum and painted the control arm as well. No pictures yet, but I will take them when I put that side back together.

If you've never used this paint before, be warned. At first it looks like the paint is 'lifting' and running off, like you didn't prep the metal correctly. Don't panic like I did ;-) But after a few minutes it starts the show the 'hammer' texture.

The other hour I had today was used cleaning out more of the undercoating from the car. I got a lot from the body seams out, but didn't touch the wheel wells. I need to research how to remove that much surface area.

One new item about the garage setup. With the kids back in school, I've lost Deb's side of the garage as temporary storage. So I'm doing a full clean up each time I do any work and put away everything so she can get the van in the garage.

Next weekend I'll put the passenger control arm back on, take the driver's side off and do the painting all over again.

Slow and steady ...

No comments:

Post a Comment