Saturday, June 12, 2010

Airbox and 87+ spindles

I was able to spend a few hours on the car today.

First surprise was that something had lived in the cowl for a while, but I don't think it was a rodent. While I didn't TRY to smell what was in there, it wasn't that noticeable as I took it apart. Once I did see something, I stopped and put on gloves and a mask just in case.

You can see the threads from probably the carpet or the original seats. The blower wheel was pretty disgusting and after cleaning it for a few minutes it was still bad, so I'm going to need to replace it.



I also found a break in the air box between the blower and the evaporator, so that will need to be replaced too.



Oh well, sitting in someone's yard for 5 years I'm surprised more wasn't in there!

I took a part the 87+ spindles, rotors and dust shields and started cleaning them up. Here is what I've got so far. I ground off the rust and hammered the dust shields back to original shape. Last task for today was to paint both with the Eastwood Rust encapsulator.





Tomorrow I will primer them and maybe paint them by the end of the day.

After cleaning up I took the family to a car show in Dallas GA. it was really hot, but there were a lot of cool, old cars. A number of Mustangs. In fact I think there were more 60's Mustangs than Camaros!

No comments:

Post a Comment