Saturday, July 24, 2010

End of Phase 1

Well, today is a milestone. I've done all I can do until I get the frame rail replaced and the roof and fender rust removed.

From 4/29/2009 to 7/24/2010 I have put 112 hours and 30 minutes into the car. Looking at it today you can't see much of that effort, but there is plenty completed.

Today I put the chrome differential cover on filled it with gear oil. Then I removed all the jack stands and put it back on the ground for the first time since last fall. Wow it looks smaller than I'm used to.

Budget-wise across the 15 months on average I spent less than I allotted each month. Of course some months I didn't do anything, others I blew it way out.

So today I've decided that 'Phase 1' is over.

What's next? In the next two to four weeks the fabricator will take the car, have the engine bay, k-member, roof and fenders media blasted to remove all the rust and remaining paint. Then he'll install the replacement frame rail, repair the radiator support, replace the passenger's side apron and check everything for proper frame specifications.

If everything is in spec, he'll paint the engine bay, k-member, cowl and outer aprons the factory body color. If not, I need to find some money to get it to a frame shop to be straightened, then do all of the above.

The roof and fenders will be primed, a set of subframe connectors will be installed and all the little rust holes will be filled.

The final unknown in phase 2 is how bad the rust in the roof is. He is going to cut out the area around the hole and see what is involved in repairing it. Worst case I need a new roof skin, which is pretty expensive to install. I'm hoping it is just that area and that he'll be able to patch it.

The k-member will also be painted the body color and I will order a set of Ford Racing lower control arms to replace the 26+ year old pieces. The Eibach lowering springs will be installed. Depending on how the other unknowns go, I may also install the new 87+ spindles, rotors and brakes plus the KYB struts. That will be one of the last things to decide.

Once all this is done in the early fall, she'll sit in the garage until next spring when I have money again ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment