Saturday, January 26, 2013

Installing the oil pan cover

It has been said that you can't build a 2.3T that doesn't leak, but I'm going to try. The first step for me in tackling this was to make sure I've got a good seal on the oil pan gasket. So I bought a new gasket and used a fair amount of RTV to seal up the corners where the block meets the front and rear mains as well as to seal up the junction between the front plate and the block.
These pictures show the area where the front plate meets the block:


 
So following the manual (Yes dear I read and followed the directions) I put a 'dab' of RTV in the 'corners' where the block and mains meet and a bead where the block and front cover meet.
 
Front 'corner' and joints:
 

 

Rear 'corner':
 


What I used:

I again followed directions on the RTV, installed the gasket, pan and finger tightened the bolts. Waited an hour then torqued the bolts to spec.
After curing and torquing:
 
 
 
 
 
Oil pan on:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment