Sunday, July 19, 2015

Radiator, electric fan and overflow bottle

Next big project was the radiator, hoses, fan and catch can.
 
I used the SVE radiator and catch can, and a Flex-a-lite 175 fan. I looked hard at doing the HHR fan, the Contour fan and bunch of others, but realized this is one area where going cheap was not a good idea. I really don't want this to overheat. I have other ways of blowing a headgasket that don't include warping the head :)
 
The radiator went in easily enough. The lower brackets and rubber fit fine, but the upper brackets never fit and held the radiator tight. I only had the original brackets, which had support for mounting the original electric fan, so I suspect the extra space for the fan frame wasn't considered when SVE built them.
 
Instead a used a UPR 'small' frame bracket. 
 
The SVE catch can was easy enough to mount. The Flex-a-lite fan came with a bracket to mount the 87+ overflow bottle. The holes were wrong for the SVE unit, but I drilled new holes. Only complaint, the holes in the bracket for the overflow are a 1/16 or so too close to the 90 on the bracket so I had to file them open a little bit.
 


 
 



 

 

I used a 5/16" hose from the radiator to the smaller inlet on the catch can (documentation didn't define which, found others online with the same problem.

Overall, looks pretty good.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment