Saturday, April 25, 2009

And so it begins!

Today, I bought an 1984 Mercury Capri Turbo RS as a project car. As you can see from the pictures, it is pretty rough. Surprisingly, the body is in really good shape. The rust is almost all surface rust which I will remove over time.













What I know of the car:
  • 3 previous owners
  • guy I bought it from hauled it from upstate NY to Atlanta in 2004
  • it had the EFI Turbo 2.3L, but it was removed before the last owner got the car
  • the hood is not original, the original was stolen before the last owner could pick up the car
  • no seats. The back seat had a snake in it, which wrecked the foam and upholstery


From what I've found on the Internet this would be 1 of 1321 cars. Really. It is pretty rare!


Next steps
  • remove the tow hitch from the car. Yes, it has a tow hitch for some reason
  • remove the carpet. The car has sat outside for the last 5 years and smells like it. So far no sign of other critters
  • clean up as much as I can so it is easier to work on the car

This is going to take a LONG time to get drivable again, so check back regularly to see what I've been up to.

1 comment:

  1. Took my brother 10 years, but he got it done. It's time well spent. Congrats on the project!

    ReplyDelete