Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cleaned up the floor!

I finished a major task on the Capri today.I have removed all the rust from the floorboards and most of the undercarriage (except the driver's rear seat which I need professional help with).

First are the before pictures:

Passenger side front

Passenger side rear.

Driver's side front from below:

Driver's side upper torque box

Passenger's side upper torque box


I did a lot of sanding, grinding and generally making a mess over the last couple of weekends. Today I sealed everything up that I worked on with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. Pretty good stuff by the look and coverage. Not as messy as I expected, but I did have to wear a mask to keep the fumes out. I went and bought one specifically for solvents from Home Depot.

After:

Driver's floorboard:


Passenger's Front. Yes really that is the same panel after hitting every inch with a grinder or sandpaper!


Driver's side torque box. Note, the goal here wasn't to cover everything, just the areas I had sanded or where there was visible rust. Since the control arms are still on the car, I couldn't get all of it. I'll finish that up when I drop the rear to replace all the bushings.

Passenger's side torque box.


There are a few more pictures on the Flickr site if you're interested.

Next steps are a little hard to know right now. I am going to have a professional look at the front frame and decide what is next. I keep hearing it is repairable, I just don't know how much or what I can be doing in parallel while waiting to get it done. Hopefully I'll have someone look at it next weekend.

1 comment: