Thursday, July 2, 2009

Rust, July 2nd

Note to self (or anyone doing this themselves): clean the underside of the car before you start grinding on the rust. I swear the mess was because of all the dust, dirt and oil, not just the rust.

Since this is a long holiday weekend, my company let everyone go at 3 pm to start the weekend early. I immediately went to Home Depot and bought more wire wheels and sandpaper to work on the Capri.

First step was to jack the front of the car up and get it on the jack stands. I then took all the wheels except the passengers front (still won't budge!) to give me more room.

I then spent the next 3 hours sanding, grinding, using scotch brite pads on the undercarriage. I removed the fuel lines since they were in the way. I only found one more hole, in the passenger's foot area, about the size of a dime. That's the fourth 'dime size' hole I've found so far. I need to figure out what to do with these. I know cutting out the rust and welding in new steel is best, but for an area that small I wonder if there aren't other ways.

There are still a few areas that I can't get to because of the rear suspension, so I'll work around them tomorrow and deal with them when I drop the suspension and remove the rear end.

Task for tomorrow: degrease and clean the whole undercarriage then put the rust converter on the bad spots, finally putting the rust encapsulator.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chris - I have a car like the one you bought and was just wondering how much you paid for it? Mine is in good shape - I am thinking of putting it up for sale. The body is fine and so is the interior the motor needs a computer chip and quit running several months ago.

    ReplyDelete