Wednesday, July 1, 2009

More rust cleanup

I didn't get anything done last weekend. My brother Pat came into town Saturday morning so I was pretty much out the whole time.

Monday night I took the gas tank into the woods behind the house and flushed the interior with water (all the gas was removed before this!) to get rid of any remaining fumes. I also took off the second fuel pump and fuel filter, including a really badly rusted bracket.

Tonight I started grinding the surface rust off the undercarriage of the car. I was able to get to a lot of the rust, except a few places where the rear end prevented me from getting the drill up there. Mostly around the upper torque boxes.

I decided not to drop the rear end yet, since I'd really rather have some help for that than risk something going wrong. So, for the rest of the week I'll be removing rust from all the floor pans and the rest of the torque boxes, probably with sandpaper.

After that I'll paint some rust converter on the 'bad' areas and cover everything else with the Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood.

1 comment:

  1. Never tried the stuff from Eastwood. Have you ever tried Corroseal rust converter? Stuff is great for undercarriage work.

    ReplyDelete